Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Rant on

Wow, Pat was telling me about an article he heard about regarding some American Evangelists who travelled to Uganda in order to spread their hatred of gays.   It is so hard to imagine that anyone who dares to call themself "Christian" could hate others so much.  Actually it is fairly easy to believe especially after reading other people's blogs as in when California was trying to pass the same sex marriage bill.  "Don't vote for this bill if you are interested in keeping the 'traditional family'" and "I don't want my child to find out that there is anything other than a traditional family".   Give me a break!  One thing I did learn when I attended church on a fairly regular basis was "love your neighbours as you love yourself" (Matthew 22:39).  At the same time I learned that these were merely words that were never practiced.
I do come from a "traditional family" (Dad, mom, kids) and my own family is also a "traditional family" but I have never viewed homosexuals as different from heterosexuals when dealing with them in their day to day lives.  As a famous Canadian politician once said "There is no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation".  I strongly believe that.
Rant over....
The weather has been getting more Spring like all the time.  We are finding ourselves letting the fire in the insert die out during the day since it is just too darned hot!
I bought myself a 32 gig iPod Touch with the help of airmiles points.  It is my poor man's version of an iPhone.  I then found a whack of apps for it including some to track my points, some game ones, and best of all.... Pocket Yoga!
The pocket yoga app gives you a variety of levels (beginner, intermediate, experienced) and times (30 min., 45 min., 60 min.).  The workouts are not as simple as I thought they'd be.  I have never tried yoga but never realized that it was possible to get a good workout through it.  I'm a fan now.

Knitting wise things are going well.  The weather is playing with my mind telling me that "winter is over and summer is near".  Despite that I start work on the jacket for a baby girl.  As I mentioned in my previous post this jacket would be for a baby girl should one be born to either my daughter, my niece-in-law, or my friends' daughter.  Bad news came last week to my friends' daughter when she miscarried.  She and my daughter were both due at the exact same time.

I'm too lazy to insert photos at the moment but will make up for their lack in the next posting.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I don't understand why anyone gives a crap about what other people do anyway when it doesn't affect them. Someone once said something about "If you don't believe in gay marriage then don't have one".
I think that whole thing about kids growing up seeing non-traditional families is a load of crap. Personally, I have a "traditional family" but I want my children to learn that there are a million kinds of families out there that are all just as valid as ours. It's just like how I want my child to know that people all have different beliefs that are not necessarily the same as ours but are all valid. I think if you teach a child that a "real marriage" is between a man and a woman, it teaches the child to think that there is something wrong with "non-traditional families" and that we should treat them as being different, which leads to hate and discrimination. I don't know how it is any different than if I (being an athiest) were to tell my children that people shouldn't practice their own beliefs because they are not the same as ours. I would never do that, same as I would never tell my child that it's wrong to marry someone of the same gender.
I liked your post...you have a lot of good points :)